My current and future research interests include statistical models and inferences for
complex human diseases and quantitative traits, statistical issues in genome-wide association studies,
statistical challenges in micro-array data, modeling of social networks and behaviors,
applications of statistical tools, such as multi-level models in the area of social science,
epidemiology and public health.
Ongoing and pending projects:
- Genome-wide association study of blood pressure in Nigerians. The goal is to combine
high-throughput genotyping with a sophisticated epidemiologic design to examine potential
gene-environment interactions for known candidate genes.
- Modeling obesity through simulation. The goal is to develop innovative statistical and
computational methods for models complicated dependence structure between individuals.
- Characterization of biobank samples from 5 populations. The goal is to study the population
structure and stratification using bio-bank samples.
- Analysis based on the data of Puerto Rican elderly: health conditions. There are a lot of
possibilities for analysis based on this information rich data set.
- Spring 2013
- Stat/Biol 337 - Quantitative Bioinformatics,
TuTh 10:00-11:15am, Cuneo Hall 116
- Fall 2012
- Stat 411 - Appl. Survival Analysis,
TuTh 10:00-11:15am, Cuneo Hall - Room 218
- Stat 403 - SAS Program & Appl Stat,
TuTh 1:00-2:15pm, Life Science Building-Room 315
- Previous years
- Liping Tong, David Shoham, Richard S Cooper (2012).
A Co-evolution Model for Dynamic Social Network and Behavior.
Annals of Applied Statistics, in review.
- Shweta Singh, Ru Zhou, Xiong Li, Liping Tong (2012).
The Complex Relationship with Health: Rural and Urban poor Women.
Global Public Health, in review.
- DA Shoham, L Tong, PJ Lamberson, AH Auchincloss, J Zhang, LR Dugas, JS Kaufman, RS Cooper, and A Luke (2012).
An Actor-Based Model of Social Network Influence on Adolescent Body Size, Screen Time, and Playing Sports.
PLoS ONE 7(6): e39795.
- Liping Tong, Bamidele Tayo, Jie Yang, Richard Cooper (2011).
Compare the SNP-based and Gene-based Association Studies in Detecting Rare Variants Using Unrelated Individuals.
BMC Proceedings 2011, 5(Suppl 9): S41.
- Bamidele Tayo, Marie Teil, Liping Tong, Huaizhen Qin, Gregory Khitrov, Weijia Zhang,
Quinbin Song, Xiaofeng Zhu, Alexandre Pereira, Richard Cooper, Erwin P. Bottinger (2011).
Genetic Background of Patients from a University Medical Center in Manhattan: Implications for Personalized Medicine.
PLoS ONE 6(5): e19166.
- Liping Tong (2010).
Bayesian Methods in Multi-Color Optical Mapping.
International Journal of Mathematics and Computer Science 5: 101-122.
- Liping Tong, Jie Yang, Richard Cooper (2010).
Efficient Calculation of P-value and Power for Quadratic Form Statistics in Multilocus Association Testing.
Annals of Human Genetics 74: 275-285.
for Chi-square Approximation to Quadratic Form Statistics
- Liping Tong, and Elizabeth Thompson (2008).
Multilocus Lod Scores in Large Pedigrees: Combination of Exact and Approximate Calculations.
Human Heredity 65: 142-153.
- Yun Ju Sung, Yanming Di, Audrey Q Fu, Joseph H Rothstein, Weiva Sieh, Liping Tong,
Elizabeth A Thompson, and Ellen M Wijsman (2007).
Comparison of Multipoint Linkage Analyses for Quantitative Traits: Parametric Lod Scores,
Variance Components Lod Scores and Bayes Factors in the CEPH Data.
BMC Proceedings 2007, 1(Suppl 1): S93.
- Liping Tong, Laurie Mets and Mary Sara McPeek (2007).
Likelihood-based Inference for Multi-Color Optical Mapping Data.
Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology: Vol. 6: Iss. 1, Article 5.
- Sunati Sahoo, Wendy M. Recant, Liping Tong and Ruth Heimann (2005).
Defining Negative Margins in DCIS Patients Treated with Breast Conservation Therapy - University of Chicago Experience.
The Breast Journal 11 (4), 242-247.
- Liping Tong (2004).
Statistical Inference for Multi-color Optical Mapping Data.
PhD dissertation, the University of Chicago.
- Xizhi Wu, Bo Cheng, Linxu Liu, Liping Tong, Wenxuan Zhong and Huaiyu Xiong (2000).
Statistics (Translation), Gudmund R. Iversen & Mary Gergen. Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.
- Liping Tong, Bamidele Tayo, and Richard Cooper (2013). A New Method to Compare
the Haplotype Distributions between Populations. To be Submitted.
- Liping Tong, David Shoham, and Richard Cooper (2013). A Joint Statistical Model
of Social Behavior and Social Network. To be submitted.
- Liping Tong, Hans W Volkmer, Jie Yang (2013). Homogeneous Polynomials and
Explicit Solution for Optimal Designs for Two-Level Factorial Experiments. To be
- Liping Tong, Jie Yang, Xue Han, Loren Velasquez (2013). The Card Game 24 and
Its Application to Math Education. To be submitted.
- Shweta Singh, Xiong Li, Ru Zhou, Liping Tong (2013). Women's Health and House-
hold Structure (2013). To be submitted.
- Liping Tong, David Shoham (2013). Bayesian Method to Estimate Parameters in
Dynamic Social Network and Behavior Model. In progress.
Last update: April 26, 2013